Monday, March 09, 2009

An Interview with the Vampires*

I got this from Rational Jenn. It's an interview to do with your children. I asked my 7 yr-old for his answers first, and then went through them with my 12-yr old daughter. I had her look away from the computer screen so she wouldn't see his answers.

What is something dad always says to you?

Him: "Do your work"

Her: Phrases in French.

(Hey, I gotta use it or lose it.)

What makes dad happy?

Him: The computer.

Her: Quiet kids, a full stomach, and a good nap.

What makes dad sad?

Him: Je ne sais pas.

(That's one of those French phrases they hear a lot. He's made it his own.)

Her: A hungry stomach, tired eyes, and noisy kids.

How does your dad make you laugh?

Him: Real funny jokes.

Her: Stories of his childhood, and some of his jokes.

(Emphasis hers. She doesn't appreciate my sense of humor as much as he does.)

What was your dad like as a child?

Him: Kind of mischievous.

Her: A good kid on the whole, but sometimes very difficult.

(Obviously, I'm telling them the wrong childhood stories.)

How old is your dad?

Him: Ummmm… I think he is in his 40s.

Her: 40-something.

(Close enough!)

How tall is your dad?

Him: A little smaller than a door.

Her: Between four and five feet—more likely closer to five feet.

(I'm a good bit shorter than a door, but I'm not that damned short. To be precise, I'm 5'-6.5".) ;)

What is his favorite thing to do?

Him: (Exasperatedly.) Play on the computer! (Parenthetically.) And read books.

Her: Play on the computer.
Did you peek at his answer? No, I just searched among your habits, and the first thing that came up was computer.

(Well, there you go.)

What does your dad do when you're not around?

Him: (Asks for clarification. Asks what ‘clarification' means.) Hang out with mom.

Her: I don’t know, we’re never around.

If your dad becomes famous, what will it be for?

Him: Je ne sais pas.

Her: For protecting his family against danger.

(I can see the headline: Man Shoots Intruder to Protect Family. Rather amusing, since I've tried to keep the presence of a gun here on the down low.)

What is your dad really good at?

Him: Reading.

Her: Playing D&D.

(Yeah... I'm just bursting with talent.)

What is your dad not very good at?

Him: Fixing different sort of stuff, I guess.
Like? The kitchen light.

Her: Doing a handstand.

(Yeah, I like her answer better.)

What does your dad do for his job?

Him: Teaches school at the house.

Her: He takes care of us kids while Mom’s at work.

What is your dad's favorite food?

Him: Stuff with low calories and salads.

(Sigh. No, not really.)

Her: I don’t know. What is your favorite food? Grandma’s food?

What makes you proud of your dad?

Him: He’s there when I always need help.

Her: He’s a Mr-Fix-It that we don’t have to pay.

(Thank you, baby.)

Him: Except the kitchen light.

(Grrr!)

If your dad were a cartoon character, who would he be?

Him: (Lots of discussion trying to sort this question. We don’t have satellite, so he doesn’t watch lots of cartoons.) Buzz.

Her: Bugs Bunny.

(Eh, what's up, Doc?)

What do you and your dad do together?

Him: Sometimes target practice, which I’d like to do today. I’m getting rusty on it.

Her: We play board games, and we have heart-to-heart conversations.

How are you and your dad the same?

Him: We’re both boys.

Her: We both have brown eyes and hot tempers.

How are you and your dad different?

Him: Well, there’s our hair, names, and uh, ages.

Her: He’s a grown man with a beard, and I’m a young twelve-year-old girl. And I’m not so into history as he is.

(They're very literal-minded.)

How do you know your dad loves you?

Him: Because he’s my dad!

(Duh! Don't all dad's love their children??)

Her: I know from his want to take care of me; the way he takes me to places that I like to go; and the way he gives me hugs and kisses when I need them, or want them.

What does your dad like most about your mom?

Him: They’re a couple.

Her: I think you like her just for being who she is.

Where is your dad's favorite place to go?

Him: Grandma and Grandpa’s.

Her: The library, the bookstore, and houses of friends and relatives.


*It's a joke!


Not really. :(


Yes, it is. :)


Maybe. ;)

No comments: